Most companies complete Form I-9 as part of their new hire onboarding process without really giving much thought as to why Form I-9 is being completed. Form I-9 is treated as one more item on a new hire checklist.
At Lookout Services, we believe that Form I-9 compliance is more than a “to-do.” It is a significant risk that every business should determine how to manage. The potential impact on business longevity and future profitability may be more substantial than you realize. Every business should know the risks, understand the costs, and develop I-9 compliance programs which mitigate or eliminate the risks.
Not sure where to start? Here are a few questions, you should ask:
- Do our current I-9 practices ensure Form I-9 is completed correctly?
- Do our current I-9 practices include audits to correct any errors that occur at hire?
- Do our current I-9 practices provide management with a risk assessment annually?
- If audited by the government, what is my potential fine?
- If audited by the government, how many workers might I lose?
- If audited by the government, what else might be at risk?